Kilwatermoy landlords in 1851
Niall C.E.J. O’Brien
The Primary Valuation of Tenements, known as Griffith’s Valuation was a record of property types and values taken across Ireland in the 1840s, 1850s and 1860s to help establish a base line for the imposition of rates on property. The valuation for Kilwatermoy parish, Co. Waterford was taken in 1851 with James Harton as chief valuator. Nine different estates covered the parish. The owners of the various townlands are listed below and their location can be found in the accompanying map.
Some landlords like James Parker held other property than just their listed townland. In the case of James Parker he had property in Ballymoat Upper, Ballynafineshoge and Knockaun South. Arthur Ussher had land in Ballyclement along with his own townlands.
The three townlands of Dunmoon were held by various landlords such as Miss Jane Beauchamp, W.H.R. Jackson and the Duke of Devonshire. Nobody is listed as having land in fee and so it is difficult to establish, based solely on Griffith’s Valuation, who was the head landlord of Dunmoon. To add to the difficulty William Moore also held land in Dunmoon and in Dunmoon South.
The estates of William Moore and Mrs. Catherine Smyth came to those families in the mid eighteenth century when Ann, daughter and co-heiress of Digby Foulke of Tallow married the Hon. William Moore. The other daughter and co-heiress of Digby Foulke, Elizabeth married William Smyth of Headborough. The acquisition of the other estates is yet to be established.
Miss Jane Beauchamp: Nothing is yet known about Miss Jane Beauchamp. Her holdings in Kilwatermoy parish are the only property ascribed to her in Griffith’s Valuation. She may be a relation of Colonel Richard Beauchamp of Merrion Square, Dublin but no link has been definitively established.
Duke of Devonshire: William Spenser Cavendish was the only son of William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire by his first wife, Lady Georgina Spenser, eldest daughter of John, 1st Earl Spenser. William Spenser was born on 21st May 1790 and succeeded his father on 29th July 1811. The Duke was Lord Lieutenant of Derbyshire, High Steward of Derby and President of the Horticultural Society.
As heir to vast estates in England and Ireland the Duke had a large income to spend and spend he did. When he was Ambassador Extraordinary to Russia in 1826, the Duke spent £50,000 above his government allowance. At home the Duke employed his head gardener, Joseph Paxton to spend without limit on improving the gardens at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, the Duke’s chief residence.
In Ireland the Duke rebuilt Lismore Castle and spent money improving his towns at Lismore, Tallow and Dungarvan. During the Great Famine the Duke did not overlook his tenants and was an important contributor to relief projects.
The Duke was known as the “Bachelor Duke” as he never married. He died on 18th January 1858 and was succeeded by his cousin, William Cavendish, Lord Burlington
Mrs. Helena Graves: Helena Graves was the eldest daughter and co-heir of Rev. Charles Perceval of Burton, Co. Cork. Rev. Perceval was rector of Churchtown in north Cork. In 1806 Helena Perceval married John Crosbie Graves of Cloghan Castle, King’s County (Co. Offaly). John Graves was the second son of Rev. Thomas Graves, Dean of Connor. John Graves died on 13th January 1835 leaving four sons and two daughters. The eldest son was John Thomas Graves who appears below.
Helena Graves’s first cousin was Rev. William Perceval of Kilmore Hill, near Tallow, Co. Waterford. Rev. William married (September 1809) Anne, daughter of John Waring Maxwell of Finnebrogue, Co. Down. Their eldest son was Robert Perceval Maxwell of Moorehill following his marriage in September 1839 with Helena Anne, only sister and heiress of William Moore of Moorehill [see below].
John Thomas Graves: John Thomas Graves was the eldest son of Helena Graves, nee Perceval [above] and John Crosbie Graves of Cloghan Castle, King’s County. John Thomas Graves entered Trinity College, Dublin on 20th October 1823. John Thomas Graves was awarded a B.A. (1827) and an M.A. (1832) and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1839. He was called to the Irish Bar in 1830 and practiced as a barrister-at-law. Born in 1806 John Thomas Graves married Amelia, daughter of William Tooke, F.R.S., of London and died on 29th March 1870. John Thomas Graves left no children.
John Thomas Graves spend much of his life in England where he was a Poor Law inspector for England and Wales in the 1840s. History knows Graves as a mathematician of complex logarithm and class friend of William Rowan Hamilton. His brother Charles Graves was also a noted mathematician as well as being Bishop of Limerick.
Warren Hastings Rowland Jackson: Warren Jackson was named after the celebrity viceroy of India, Warren Hastings. W.H.R. Jackson was the son of Edward Rowland Jackson of Ballybay by his wife, Phoebe Tuting. Edward Jackson was a grandson of Edward Jackson and Lucy Rowland of Cork. Edward Jackson was the third son of John Jackson of Kilwatermoy who was a tax payer in the parish in 1659. Warren Jackson married Anne Dalton, daughter of Count Edward Dalton of Grenanstown, Co. Tipperary. They had three sons and one daughter. Warren Jackson died at Castleview, Co. Cork on 29th October 1851.
William Moore: William Moore was born on 14th January 1816 as the only son of William Moore of Moorehill and Sapperton by his wife and cousin, Mary, daughter of the Rev. Hon. Robert Moore, fourth son of Stephen Moore, 1st Viscount Mountcashell. William Moore of Moorehill was the younger son of the Hon. William Moore of Moorehill by his wife, Anne, daughter of Digby Foulke. The Hon. William Moore was the third son of Stephen Moore, 1st Viscount Mountcashell.
After his elder brother, Stephen Moore, died on 11th September 1838, William Moore inherited Sapperton House. In August 1845 William Moore married Jane, daughter of Charles Goodden and died on 21st November 1856 without issue. William Moore was succeeded at Moorehill and Sapperton by his sister, Helena Anne, wife of Robert Perceval-Maxwell. The later family of Perceval-Maxwell of Moorehill descend from their second son, William John Perceval-Maxwell.
James Parker: James Parker lived at Ballyhamlet House which he rented from the Earl of Shannon [see below]. James Parker was possibly related to Captain Henry Parker, a substantial landlord in Tallow parish and a possible descendent of Thomas Parker, a taxpayer in Kilwatermoy parish in 1660.
On 25th October 1861, Farmer Parker, seventh son of James Parker, of Ballyhamlet was sworn and admitted an Attorney of her Majesty’s Court of Common Pleas before Chief Justice Monahan. Another possible son was John Frederick Parker who entered Trinity College, Dublin in 1842 when aged 20 years. He was listed as son of James Parker, gent, Co. Waterford. This John Frederick parker was living at number 10 Portland Street North, Dublin in 1862. Professor Eugene Curry was living at number 2.
James Parker died on 5th February 1869 aged 94 years. He was described as a “gentleman farmer” and the cause of death was old age. He was predeceased by his wife. Present at his death was Frances Parker but her relationship to James Parker is unknown. Despite having a large family the Parker family had left Ballyhamlet by 1901 when Maurice O’Brien was occupier and owner although there were still members in the wider area.
Robert D. Perry: Robert Deane Perry was a son of Richard Lavitt Perry and Jane Deane of Cork City. His grandfather was Samuel Richard Perry was the son of Richard Perry and Ellen, daughter of Alderman Lavitt of Cork. This Richard Perry was a younger son of Samuel Perry of Woodrooff, Co. Tipperary.
Robert Deane Perry was born about 1828 in Cork. Robert first began school under Dr. O’Brien which school was possibly in the Cork area. On 13th October 1843 he entered Trinity College, Dublin as a pensioner which usually equates to a middle class background. In the spring of 1848 Robert Perry got a B.A.
Sometime in the 1850s Robert D. Perry married Eliza Matilda from Somerset. The couple had at least two daughters and one son, Robert Deane Perry junior. In about 1865 the family moved from Cork City to Clyda House in the parish of Kilshannig near Mallow. The family were still living there in 1901.
Robert Deane Perry was a colonel in the North Cork Militia, a unit made famous or more infamous for its actions during the 1798 Rebellion. Robert Perry died on 22nd May 1897 at Clyda House. His son died two years later in 1899 leaving his mother and two unmarried sisters living at Clyda for the 1901 census.
Earl of Shannon: Richard Boyle, eldest son of the 3rd Earl of Shannon by Sarah, daughter of John Hyde of Castle Hyde near Fermoy, Co. Cork. The Earl was a descendent of Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork. Richard Boyle was born on 12th May 1809 at Castlemartyr and succeeded his father as 4th Earl of Shannon in 1842. In 1832 he married Emily, daughter of Lord George Seymour. The Earl was colonel of the West Cork Artillery and patron of four parishes. His chief residence was at Castlemartyr. The Earl died on 1st August 1868 at St. Ann’s Hill, Cork. His widow died on 1st December 1887 at number 95 Piccadilly, London. Richard Boyle was succeeded by his eldest son, Henry Boyle.
Mrs. Catherine Smyth: Catherine Smyth of Headborough was the daughter of John Odell of Carriglea near Dungarvan by his wife, Catherine, daughter of Rev. Matthew Young, Bishop of Clonfert. On 4th September 1827 she married Rev. Percy Scott Smyth of Headborough and Monatrea. Percy Smyth died in 1846 leaving a son, Percy Scott Smyth. In December 1862 Percy and his mother Catherine got a royal licence to continue to use the Smyth surname. Catherine Smyth died on 31st May 1882.
In June 1865 Percy Scott married Mary, eldest daughter of Major Robert Perceval-Maxwell of Finnebrogue, Co. Down by Helena Anne Moore of Moorehill. After the death of Percy’s fourth son, Robert Smyth, in 1946 Headborough was passed by his widow to her husband’s cousin, Patrick Edward Perceval-Maxwell who was cousin of Edward Perceval-Maxwell of Moorehill.
Arthur Ussher: Arthur Kiely Ussher of Ballysaggartmore, Co. Waterford was the grandson of Richard Kiely of Strancally Castle and Sarah Ussher, eldest daughter of James Ussher of Ballintaylor near Dungarvan. Arthur Kiely assumed the surname and arms of Ussher in 1843. Arthur Ussher married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Martin of Ross, Co. Galway by his wife, Marian, daughter of John Blackney of Carlow and Waterford city. Elizabeth’s sister, Marian, married Arthur Bushe, fourth son of the Lord Chief Justice, Charles Kendal Bushe.
Arthur Kiely-Ussher inherited Janeville and the surrounding townlands from his father John Kiely. During the 1820s Arthur Kiely-Ussher purchased the Ballysaggartmore estate from George Holmes Jackson, a cousin of Warren Hastings Jackson [see above]. There he built the famous Ballysaggartmore Towers as entrance lodges to a proposed grander house. This was said to be caused by the jealousy of his wife to the fine new house at Strancally Castle owned by her sister-in-law, Margaret Bagwell and her husband, John Kiely, Arthur’s brother.
It was also at Ballysaggartmore that Arthur Kiely-Ussher made his name infamous. By evicting tenants in good times and in bad times he got a bad name. During the height of the Great Famine there was an attempted assassination of Arthur Kiely-Ussher. The plotters were sent to Australia while Arthur Kiely-Ussher lived on until his death on 18th August 1862.
Arthur Kiely Ussher left at least two sons, Christopher and John; and two daughters, Jane and Adelaide (married Rev. Isaac Reeves in May 1870).
Map of the different estates in Kilwatermoy parish, 1851
Principal landlords of the townlands in Kilwatermoy parish in 1851
Mrs. Helena Graves estate
Snugborough —————- 114 acres
Total ————————– 114 acres
John T. Graves estate
Ballymuddy —————— 148 acres
Corrannaskeha ————— 51 acres
Total ————————– 199 acres
William Moore estate
Ballyclement —————— 89 acres
Corrannaskeha North ——– 62 acres
Fountain ———————– 303 acres
Glenawillin ——————– 73 acres
Kilanthony ——————– 109 acres
Knocknaraha —————– 185 acres
Moorehill ——————— 255 acres
Sapperton North ————- 210 acres
Sapperton South ————- 202 acres
Slieveburgh —————— 72 acres
Total ————————– 1,560 acres
James Parker estate
Knockaun North ————- 258 acres
Total ————————– 258 acres
Robert D. Perry estate
Ballymoat Lower ————- 184 acres
Ballymoat Upper ————- 165 acres
Church Quarter ————— 128 acres
Close ————————— 115 acres
Kilwatermoy —————— 202 acres
Kilwatermoy Mountain —– 206 acres
Lyrenacarriga —————– 275 acres
Shanapollagh —————– 62 acres
Total ————————— 1,337 acres
Earl of Shannon estate
Ballyhamlet ——————- 247 acres
Ballynafineshoge ————- 209 acres
Knockaun South ————– 410 acres
Total ————————— 866 acres
Mrs. Catherine Smyth estate
Ballyneety ——————— 209 acres
Corrannaskeha South ——– 103 acres
Headborough —————– 536 acres
Total ————————— 848 acres
Arthur Ussher estate
Island ————————– 1 acre
Janeville ———————– 250 acres
Paddock ———————– 100 acres
Tircullen Lower ————– 105 acres
Tircullen Upper ————– 80 acres
Total ————————— 536 acres
Various owners i.e. Miss Jane Beauchamp – W.H.R. Jackson – Duke of Devonshire
Dunmoon ———————- 264 acres
Dunmoon North ————– 342 acres
Dunmoon South ————– 211 acres
Total ————————— 817 acres
End of post
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), pp. 820, 1039
 Walford’s The County Families of the United Kingdom, 1860 (London, 1860), p. 41
 Edmund Lodge, The peerage of the British Empire (London, 1843), p. 174
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), p. 816
 Burke’s Landed Gentry, 1899, p. 176
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), pp. 816-7
 Burke’s Landed Gentry, 1899, p. 176
 National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office Ms 177, p. 181
 Seamus Pender (ed.), A census of Ireland circa 1659 (Irish Manuscripts Commission, Dublin, 2002), p. 338
 http://www.thesilverbowl.com/familytree/JACKSONs-Waterford&Cork.html accessed on 29 August 2013
 National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office Ms 177, p. 181
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), pp. 819-20
 George Dames Burtchaell & Thomas Ulick Sadleir (ed.), Alumni Dublinenses (Thoemmes Press, Bristol, 2001), Vol. 2, p. 653
 http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/130.php accessed 30 August 2013
 Waterford County Library, Death Register, Parker, James
 census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Kilwatermoy_West/Ballyhamlet/1758951/ accessed on 30 August 2013
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprinted 2007), p. 948
 George Dames Burtchaell & Thomas Ulick Sadleir (ed.), Alumni Dublinenses (3 vols. Thoemmes Press, Bristol, 2001), Vol. 2, p. 664
 http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639337193 accessed on 25 August 2013
 Walford’s The County Families of the United Kingdom, 1860 (London, 1860), p. 578
 G.E. Cokayne, The Complete Peerage (Alan Sutton, 1987), Vol. XI, p. 659
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), pp. 1039-40
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), p. 818
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), pp. 1156-7
 Burke’s Irish Family Records, 1976 (reprint 2007), pp. 788
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballysaggartmore_Towers accessed on 30 August 2013